Dr Angelina Mirabito guides people to:
- overcome structural difficulties;
- overcome writer’s block;
- gain perspective
- establish a strong sense of clarity, purpose and intention
- stay focused and contained within what’s relevant to story progression and essence;
- articulate abstract ideas and emotional complexity through a story;
- build confidence;
- effective use of dialogue;
- identify the next step and how to complete it;
- improve overall writing skills;
- understand how to employ relevant storytelling techniques;
- iron out tense issues;
- manage story world and logic;
- understand character development and arc for the protagonist and supporting cast;
- effectively handle point of view, pace, tone, image system, sequence of events, and setting.
For those interested in the therapeutic benefits of story writing, Dr Angelina Mirabito can assist with:
- Holding a safe and creative space to work through the core wound informing depression, anxiety, loss, addiction, eating disorders, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) or a lack of meaning and motivation in daily life.
- Engaging with challenging emotions, events and experiences through the storytelling process. I guide you in approaching what is holding you back in life and causing distress as an opportunity to gain insight. Through story work its possible to empower and equip people suffering from what they need to grow beyond the problem by processing the hurt, fear or confusion.
- Experiencing being in control and having the final say on all choices by occupying the role of author and creating a story according to their truth and in their words.
- Increasing visibility of self to yourself and if you wish, others through telling a story that communicates what has personal meaning and significance.
- Developing communication skills to express challenging emotional experience and the capacity to view a single situation from multiple points of view.
- Greater self-understanding; lasting effects of toxic experiences and how to turn every negative into a positive that serves you in fulfilling your desires, reclaiming your life and reaching your goals.
- The ability to speak confidently, clearly and coherently in their own words and with their own voice without shame, fear or guilt.
- Gaining insight into the story informing the unhappiness and lack of fulfilment.
- Identifying and distinguish what is really wanting in your life.
- Constructively managing challenging emotions and personalities.
- Making peace with past hurts and move forward.
- Enhancing creative problem-solving skills.
- Telling the story only you can, in your own words and according to your truth.
For each session, a notebook or laptop is required. Feel welcome to bring a drink bottle and any food you wish to consume during this time.
Venue: 9 Power Street
Southbank, VIC, 3006
10min walk from Flinders Street Station.
3min walk from nearest Tram Stop.
Casino East Stop – 112
Wilson Parking available on Queensbridge Road.
Skype is also an option
Monday – Friday 9:00am – 6:00pm
Standard One-On-One Sessions run for 60 minutes and are typically structured in 3 x 20minute blocks.
First 20min block: Discussion
Discuss where you’re at, what you want to achieve, understand, explore and focus on in the story idea.
Second 20min block: Story Making
Writing exercises, creative problem solving and mapping out ideas.
Third 20min block: Structure
Outline short-term goals and locate how they fit into overall goal.
The task to be completed between sessions will be broken down and how you might approach it will be clear and manageable.
To book double sessions at 120 minutes each is preferable to many, especially for the 3 sessions following the initial session. This ensures:
- sufficient time to establish a solid plan of action;
- the foundation;
- the relevant strategies, tools and awareness on how to effectively use writing to assist growth, self-management and well-being through the process,
- that any troubleshooting hiccups will be addressed and eliminated so all future sailing can be as smooth and productive as possible.
Standard Story Coaching Session = 60 minutes at $90
Book and pay for 6 session package for a discounted price of $495 (Save $45)
Book and pay for 12 session package for a discount price of $960 (Save $120)
Refer a person who signs up for a 6 session package, and you too will receive $45 off your next purchase.
Refer a person who signs up for a 12 session package, and you too will receive $90 off your next purchase.
Do you need professional feedback to take your manuscript to the next level?
This service provides feedback to improve your story, argument, writing and structure. At Your Story Doctor, you can expect clear, detailed and thorough report listing what is and isn’t working in your current draft. You will be provided with specific examples and suggestions for what can be done and how.
Focus is placed on the following for fiction, memoir and personal essay manuscripts:
- story and character arc
- characters (main and supporting cast)
- story world and logic
- emotional register and tone
- use of tense
- use of time (linear or non-linear)
- use of chapter breaks
- voice and register
- point of view
- image system
Essays and non-fiction
I have a Masters and PhD in Creative Writing. Robert McKee, Michael Hauge and Joseph Campbell inform my approach to story, structure and the hero’s journey.
There is a one-off fee for each manuscript submitted. This is due upon my receiving the manuscript and before the assessment or developmental edit begins. This will be completed within 3 weeks of receiving your manuscript and payment. Once the report is complete will be sent via email as a document attachment.
Short story or essay up to 3000 words $70
A report of no less than 1 page
For all manuscripts 15,000 to 20,000words $210
A report of no less than 3 pages
For all manuscripts 20,000 to 40,000words $420
A report of no less than 5 pages
For all manuscripts 40,000 to 60,000words $630
A report of no less than 6 pages
For all manuscripts 60,000 to 80,000words $840
A report of no less than 7 pages
For all manuscripts 80,000 to 100,000words $1050
A report of no less than 8 pages
For all manuscripts 100,000 to 120,000words $1170
A report of no less than 9 pages
Payment can be made via direct debit.
Direct debit details:
Your Story Doctor
BANK: Commonwealth Bank
ACCOUNT NAME: Angelina Mirabito
BSB: 063 118
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 1046 4817
When you make payment, please use your name as the reference and email your manuscript as a word document attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure the manuscript attached is:
times new roman
size 12 font.
Once payment has been received an acknowledgement email with an invoice attached will be sent. Please understand an assessment or developmental edit includes a detailed report only. Your manuscript will not be returned to you with track changes and inserted comments. If you require this type of editing service, please email me for a quote via the Contact page.
Also, please be clear that the work is yours and as the author, it’s important that you integrate and disregard what doesn’t fit with your vision. The report aims to provide professional and objective assistance and guidance for making revisions to the next draft of your manuscript and not for promoting your work.
For those wanting Mentorship, please see the Services page
For those wanting editorial services such as structural edit, proofreading or copy editing, please email me with your word length and a 3-page double-spaced sample for a quote via the Contact page.
I just want to thank Angelina Mirabito for undertaking the task of assessing my sister’s memoir. I definitely needed an objective perspective. She did a fantastic job. If you’re a writer looking for a mentor, I highly recommend her.
To book a session or make an inquiry, please follow the CONTACT link.